Why do it
About 8% men and 0.5% women have a colour vision deficiency.
What to do
- Chrome: start Color Carl in the Funkify extension.
- Activate the red/green filter.
- iOS and Mac OS: run the Sim Daltonism app.
Menu → set colour to deuteranopia
- Browse your site.
Things to check
- How does your site look?
- Can you easily read your menus, text, calls to action?
- How does your logo look? What about your main calls to action?
Things you could change
- Find a new colour palette.
- Improve colours on your site to be more readable for colourblind users.
- Make sure text has good foreground/background contrast. See Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 on colour contrast. A ratio of 4.5:1 gives you WCAG AA compliance (“you’re doing great for Web Content Accessibility”) and 7:1 for WCAG AAA compliance (“you’re doing amazing for Web Content Accessibility!”)
- Don’t use colour alone to convey information (e.g. error or success messages). Use additional things like font weight, borders, icons and help text too.