Why do it
People’s home language can be different to the one your content is written in. People with cognitive difficulties struggle with long or complex content.
What to do
- Use Google’s Translate service to translate any content (e.g. headings or paragraphs) on your site into another language (Xhosa is a good choice for this).
- Just copy and paste the text from your site into Google Translate.
- Translate the result back into English.
Things to check
- Is all content in plain, clear, language?
- Is all content suitable for a low literacy level?
Things you could change
- Keep content short, clear, and simple: use headings, bullets and simple sentences.
- Replace jargon and overly technical terms.
- Make button and link text descriptive. It should describe what happens when you use the button or follow the link.
- Use images to break up content and to provide alternatives to text information.